Sunday 11 September 2011

Eco Home :: Rachel Bending, Byron Bay


I have just spent the last week preparing my house ready to rent out.

To cheer myself up from the hours of sorting, de-cluttering and cleaning - which I am well over now! I am going to indulge in some window shopping for my dream home. 

What a better place to start than with Rachel Bending's (founder of Bird Textile) eco home in my favorite location, Byron Bay. 

This is a straw bale house with a difference... it's where sustainable and style come together in harmony. The house is solar-passive, solar-powered, re-uses grey water, has a compost toilet and is built from natural, sustainable and reclaimed materials including straw! Not that you can see a piece of straw from these photos... Just great style!
You can just see the dry stone wall behind the kitchen.
The claw-foot bathtub was a gift from a friends and the travertine floor was left over from another job.
Just amazing views!
This building ticks all the boxes on my shopping list; a sustainable building, made from natural materials, has an amazing outdoor bathroom, plenty of indoor outdoor living and fantastic views.

If you are inspired here is some building info:
2 Joinery: Piers Martin Cabinets (02) 6685 9014
3 Composting Toilet: Clivus Multrum 
4 Solar Panels: Nickel Renewable Energy 

Have fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment