Monday 4 April 2011

Green kitchen design of the future :: Recycling

I made a decision a few years back to try and reduce my families household waste as an experiment. I was quite surprised at what you could achieve if you set your mind to it and think of different ways for purchasing and ideas for recycling. We even managed to reduce our weekly bin waste down to just one shopping bag! 

Below are a few things I found quite simple to put into place.

  • I have the following bins in my kitchen - 1 for recycling packaging, 1 for food veggie scraps and 1 for common waste.
  • I am now in the habit of saving all my scarps for the compost.
  • I buy food in smaller amounts and with minimum packaging (against the wish of my local fruit and veg store who prefers me to buy veggies in multipacks!). 
  • I fixed a "No junk mail" to my mail box. This was the best thing! My paper waste has been dramatically reduced and what waste paper we do have I shred it and use in my compost. 
  • I drink loads of tea and throw the tea leaves onto the base of my garden herbs. 
  • I use glass jars for storage of ingredients, pens and stuff.
  • I still recycle any packaging that's left over.

I would like to share with you what the future may bring for recycling in our kitchens...

"The Ethical Kitchen," a project by Alexandra Sten Jørgensen
The i Green kitchen concept was designed by Indian designer Nilay Shah in collaboration with Italian brand Veneta Cucine
Outdoor Kitchen designed by landscape designer Jamie Durie for Australian home appliance company Electrolux
The Ekokook by Faltazi

These kitchens all have the following in common:

  • There is no refrigerator - timber trays are used for storage of foods with air ventilation through the crates. Also the user only purchases minimum quantities, reducing waste and less need for refrigeration. 
  • Air flow - the kitchen will open to the outdoors to vent the heat in the summer and open to the rest of the house in the winter to keep the house warm.
  • Water is recycled at the kitchen counter and used for growing herbs, plants or veggies. 
  • Disposal of waste is processed and integrated into composting or worm farms thus reducing your household organic waste. 

Literally, food for thought...

How many of you regularly recycle your packaging, save your veggie food scraps for composting or grow your own herbs and veggies? I would love to know of your kitchen recycling ideas.

Have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment